Server pick beta weekend

General Discussion
Shivan
Officer

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Server pick beta weekend

Post by Shivan »

Hearing this, maybe its the time for me to start a Sith Warrior... since I NEVER played a warrior in WoW... ever :P

And indeed the Sorcerer has his melee only as a last resort most of the time... try to stay in the back a bit casting and let your companion take the hits... although some occasional lightsaber swinging is cool and makes for a nice melee intermission.
- To strike down the phoenix is to slash at the flame.
- You wouldn't get it, if it came in a large bag marked 'IT'.

Vardamir

Post by Vardamir »

Hmm I really don't know what to play now.. I am a melee class player and I like to heal.. but well I am afraid the warrior will bore me soon enough..

btw there aren't any auto attacks or what?
You ain't much if you ain't Dutch!

Logar
Guild Master

Post by Logar »

No auto attacks indeed, every class has a basic ability which doesn't cost any heat/rage/focus or whatever which you can always use. But you have to press it manually.

About melee + healing, you'd have to check shared talent trees I guess. I really wouldn't know. Every class 'shares' one tree with it's advanced classes counterpart. Maybe one of those trees would allow for for example a melee bountyhunter-mercenary which can respec to healing if necessary.
-- Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose.
-- You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Vardamir

Post by Vardamir »

Talmanes wrote:No auto attacks indeed, every class has a basic ability which doesn't cost any heat/rage/focus or whatever which you can always use. But you have to press it manually.

About melee + healing, you'd have to check shared talent trees I guess. I really wouldn't know. Every class 'shares' one tree with it's advanced classes counterpart. Maybe one of those trees would allow for for example a melee bountyhunter-mercenary which can respec to healing if necessary.
ah okay sometime I was waiting for the rage to build haha :p then I figured you always have to manually attack an enemy!

Ye I will look into the talent trees and maybe it's good for the experience to play a full magic class. I really did like the Priest class in WoW too..

Dialus

Post by Dialus »

Interesting comments of you all, I have been watching some video's on youtube and so far the sorcerrer and bountyhunter have great story and gameplay as far as I can judge. Didnt see a video of the imperial agent yet, going to check that out later this week. No clue at all yet what I will play, possibly lvl all 4 classes to 6-10 for a starter, and than decide what fits me best :)

Fermian

Re: RE: Re: RE: Server pick beta weekend

Post by Fermian »

Dwaîn wrote:Powertech bountyhunter is the melee/veryshortrange advanced class of the bounty hunter ;)

Mercenary focusses on rockets + blasters
ye but i want a tank and the powertech basic attack is still ranged. And the shared tree is more ranged based i think, i hope.

Shivan
Officer

Post by Shivan »

Must... reach... space ship!!! :P

But I also need some sleep... damn....:(

Jolrael
Officer

Post by Jolrael »

I only got to level 6. The general feeling I got is WoW in a different skin; even all the shortcuts are where you'd expect them. Big pluses for me are the storyline, the 'cinematics', etc. I am quite interested to see the travelling, space ship, companions, etc.

Logar
Guild Master

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Server pick beta weekend

Post by Logar »

Shivan wrote:Must... reach... space ship!!! :P

But I also need some sleep... damn....:(
Haha I know what you mean, was 4 in the morning last sunday/monday before I got there. Coffee luckily works wonders if you normally don't drink it :D. Did you get there in the end ?

@Jol, agreed, alot is the same. For me the storyline + cinematics is definately a huge plus though. It felt like the early westfall experience from wow times 20 ;).
Don't get your hopes up on the travelling part though, it's not that special ^^.

Vardamir

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Server pick beta weekend

Post by Vardamir »

Jolrael wrote:I only got to level 6. The general feeling I got is WoW in a different skin; even all the shortcuts are where you'd expect them. Big pluses for me are the storyline, the 'cinematics', etc. I am quite interested to see the travelling, space ship, companions, etc.
true but I guess it has to be..

I had that feeling even more with Rift.. but I didn't even buy that game.. But since I like SW and the single player stuff they put in to the game I really want to give it a chance.

btw did anyone join a conversation with other players? for Social points or something?

Logar
Guild Master

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Server pick beta weekend

Post by Logar »

Grouping/ partying gives social points.
Each time a 'fork' in a conversation with an NPC comes up, everyone gets a roll, the one with the highest roll gets to pick the option on how to respond. Makes for some hilarious conversations sometimes :P.
Just talking to other players doesn't give points ^^

Vardamir

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Server pick beta weekend

Post by Vardamir »

Talmanes wrote:Each time a 'fork' in a conversation with an NPC comes up, everyone gets a roll, the one with the highest roll gets to pick the option on how to respond. Makes for some hilarious conversations so

ye that's what i ment haha :p

Solidus

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Server pick beta weekend

Post by Solidus »

I don't think it feels like WoW at all, ofcourse, it is an MMORPG, so it will share the common elements found in all these games. But in the end SWTOR has enough unique elements (most notable the storytelling / companions / crew skills) that sets it apart from a lot of other MMO's.

That said, the game in the current form in not very polished and I suspect it will take a few patches for it to become truly great. For now, I am looking forward to leveling to 50 ^^.

Shivan
Officer

Post by Shivan »

Well I also felt like it was WoW with a different skin... which isn't a bad thing... only problem was I really wanted to jump off cliffs and activate my flight form, ow how do I miss that :(

I've made it only to 14 yesterday... had to get sleep. But I really liked the part in the Inquisitor progression where I had to clear a 'dungeon' under the colossus. Only me and my companion clearing a complete complex which felt really cool... not encountering others etc etc. That kind of stuff really makes the game interesting to me.

Solidus

Post by Solidus »

I'm interesting into knowing what makes people feel like it is WoW, don't really understand it

Jolrael
Officer

Post by Jolrael »

Like I said; everythings works as it does in WoW;
- Hold right click to look around
- Press left and right to move, or (in my case) press the mouse button near my thumb to enable auto-run
- Press C to get your character screen
- Every character has a load of stats that do different things to you (make you stronger, faster, etc.)
- You have slots where you put items in
- Items are of green (common), purple (epic?) (haven't seen others yet) value
- You can apply certain changes to items (a bit compared to gems/enchants)
- Pressing B opens your 'bags' (I as well, as it's your inventory)
- O is your social tab with guild info, the /who output etc.
- Tab for targeting
- You see your own portrait, and if you select one, you see theirs next to yours (guess it'll be modifiable as well?)
- You can even press F1 to select yourself (just like in WoW)
- When I was scrolling through the 'options' screen I felt that they copied 90% of the options in WoW (especially when I was browsing the nameplates tab)
- The whole idea of questing and getting rewards for it the way it works feels 100% like it works in WoW.
- <well, I think you get the point>

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it if someone told me this game was developed by Blizzard, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Logar
Guild Master

Post by Logar »

Well the stats/inventory/itemslots/questing etc etc isn't really something that Blizzard invented ;), that's more just the general RPG-gameplay.

What striked me mainly was what Jol says about all the bindings and such. Normally each game does it a bit differently, but here it seemed all the same :D. How would I open this tab. Let's try 'xx' like WoW and then it worked :).

About the modifiable UI, for now that's one of the many complaints that it is NOT modfiable. Things might change, but I for one prefer they do not go the way of enabling UI modifications and mods and such. I don't think mods enhanced wow in the long run.

Selande

Post by Selande »

I really enjoyed the imperial agent experience. The class (as Talmanes said) really fits my playstyle. It's the real range class, and I really like the cover mechanic. You can now truly be a sniper.

I was wondering at the start if you would be able to snipe from buildings down to enemies (as in the IA introduction movie) and I'm glad to say you can. It is really funny to stand on a bridge, take cover behind its railing and snipe your enemies below :).

The storyline is epic and you really start wondering what to answer when you get a choice. As IA you can be the smartass 007 type of character, that always has a sharp remark ready, be the lawfull good agent that protects the citizens of the empire against the more evil side of empire (especially the sith :P) or you can play a pure evil agent that simply likes killing everyone and is fiercely loyal tot the sith. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

I've also played a jedi knight for a short time and I thought it was actually quite neat as well. You feel pretty heroic right from the start. Melee combat is nog really my turf, but I could see myself start a sith warrior as an alt.

Shivan
Officer

Post by Shivan »

No WoW didn't invent RPG, but if I take a random RPG before WoW and a MMORPG after WoW I think we all can see that WoW set a certain standard. Some games follow it more than others and SWTOR follows it in a lot of ways to the letter.

I look at it like Mario games. There were platformers before Mario, but when Mario hit the shelves the sidescrolling platformer was defined and almost all games were held up to that game. Sonic was more different from Mario than Alex Kid in Mircle world... but everyone compared them to Mario.

The way the interface feels is mostly WoW for me with all my mods on. Comparing equipment, showing with glows how long my cooldown on a certain spell is, having almost all the key bindings on the same spot. A very limited character screen (I like Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy character screens much better... but since WoW a lot of RPGs seem to like condensed Char screens now.)

As Talmanes says the 'lets try this as WoW did it' is my first choice to see if I can do what I want with the UI. If it then also coincides more than half of the time I say 'well that really seems like WoW'. Yes there are a lot of differences which I like more in SWTOR... but to me it sure as hell feels a lot like WoW... and not Diablo/FF/Secret of Mana/..... (which aren't MMOs but I can't compare with others... since I haven't played any others :)... which is the biggest flaw in my argumentation I know :))

Vardamir

Post by Vardamir »

Got the pre order today :)

wondering if there are any space "battles" with other people in it.. :p

Fermian

Post by Fermian »

It's really a Knights of the old Republic and WoW combo. If you haven't already try to finish KOTOR 1 before launch. Amazing game, just a bit old.